We need your support!
- Recording of Hell Study is here.
- The performance by Ostravska Banda of Hell Study: Nature morte with hurdy-gurdy has been reviewed three times now, in diverse languages! Kurt Gottschalk wrote in English, and in newmusicbox, and he said something really observant, that the piece is "cinematic, but there were several movies playing at the same time." Thank you Kurt -- that's basically exactly what's happening! The piece also shows up in two reviews over here, in both Czech and Polish. I don't know who you are, betonowechabry, but thank you for listening! Google translate doesn't make the review especially clear in English, but the tone is positive. The last one is in Czech, and its meaning is even more obtuse when translated, though it seems a bit less enthusiastic. However, the photo on the top of the page is of my devilishy happy octet!
- Shadow in the Hot Sun, but in a new, special arrangement for organ, was performed by Alia Musica in Pittsburgh on October 20, 2013, at 7pm. The concert took place in East Liberty Presbyterian Church, and featured soprano Desiree Soteres and organist Edward A. Moore. The program also included premieres of pieces by by Matt Aelmore and Aaron Brooks, as well as works by Ramteen Sazegari, Kerrith Livengood, and Krzystof Penderecki. Also, have a look at the promo video which features the good old accordion version of Shadow.
- August 31 at 3pm at The Jancek Conservatory in Ostrava: Hell Study, slightly revised, was performed in Ostrava in the Czech Republic. (I attended the Ostrava Days Institute composition workshop.) The highlight among many highlights was Bohdan Hilash's inspired bass clarinet playing.
- Ensemble Sillages played the heck out of Hell Study: nature morte with hurdy gurdy for flute, clarinet, piano, percussion, violin, and 'cello at La Courneuve Conservatory on May 21, 2013.
- Tami Morse reports that all four performances of Retouchage from On retouche les nouveaux habits du roi went swimmingly! Thank you to Tami, and to The Baroque Room (April 21, 2013) and Studio Z (May 17-19) for their hospitality!.
- US premiere of Shadow in the Hot Sun by Alia Musica with soprano Jamie Jordan and accordionist Henry Doktoski on Apr. 6, 2013. Henry put up a nice little blurb about the concert, and Shadow here.
- Trio was performed by Cadillac Moon Ensemble on Feb. 1, 2013 at Firehouse in Brooklyn.
- "Pre-premiere" of Retouchage at La Courneuve Conservatory by Alissa Duryee on Jan. 29, 2013.
- Irish premiere of Harpsichord Swirl on Dublin Sound Lab's Nov. 21, 2012 program, reSounding Dublin.
Nissim Schaulís Trio for violin, cello and percussion (2010) made its points less noisily but nearly as powerfully. You could hear a hint of Feldman here. Mr. Schaulís sounds are spare and whispered, with a dissonant but compelling edge that keeps you fascinated.
See also my blog about it.